Work Study Positions Available
- Name of the position: Literacy Assistant
- Name and address of the student’s employer: John Paul the Great Catholic University, 220 West Grand Ave., Escondido, CA 92025
- Department or office in which the student will be employed: Library and Community Services, Escondido Public Library, Literacy Services Division
- Location where the student will perform his/her duties: Escondido Public Library (239 S. Kalmia Street, Escondido, CA 92025)
- Name of the position supervisor: Dan Wood, Senior Librarian
- Purpose/role of the position: Classified as a Library Volunteer, the Work-Study Student will assist the Library Literacy Services Division by helping to publicize events, provide clerical support and promote the Literacy Services program.
- Duties and responsibilities associated with the position and how they relate to the purpose/role:
Assist in publicizing literacy events, provide clerical support as assigned, organize materials, participate in literacy program activities and coordinate events such as Scrabble-Thon, and Learner Recognition. Other duties may include participating in tutor training, outreach recruitment, editing and publishing an e-newsletter, and tutoring a literacy learner.
- Rate of pay for the position: $15.50/hour, 10-12 hours a week
- General qualifications for the position and the specific qualifications for the various levels/rates of pay associated with the position:
Qualifications include completing a City of Escondido Volunteer Application, passing a Live Scan background check (required by the City of Escondido), ability to work with adults of various socioeconomic backgrounds, strong oral and written communication skills, must be a self-starter, able to take direction well, and work consistent hours (10-12 hours per week for 10 weeks).The length of the student’s employment: October 17, 2022 through December 9, 2022, with preferred continuation for Summer Quarter in 2023, upon mutual agreement between the University and the City.
- Procedures for determining a student’s rate of pay when a position has multiple rates: This position has only one rate of pay
Work Study Procedure for Application
- Submit Resume and Cover Letter indicating which position you are applying for to Anna Velasco at email@example.com.
- HR and the position supervisor will determine the top five applications after the application period has closed, and will verify financial need with the Financial Aid Office.
- Students will be given interviews to determine the best fit for the position. If student is not yet on campus, a phone or Skype interview may be arranged.
- Students will be extended an offer of work study employment or notified that they have not received the position. If an offer of work study is made, it will be documented as a Federal aid award.
Things to Know Regarding Work Study
- Work study need is evaluated after all scholarship and grant aid and before all loan aid. Employment in a work study position may reduce your overall loan eligibility.
- Students will be paid via a paycheck, and it is their obligation to use the funds towards their educational expenses (tuition, housing, books, transportation, personal expenses).
- Students may not exceed the number of hours offered to them, and are responsible for tracking their time and submitting timecards in a timely manner for processing.