Disability Policies and Procedures

Students who wish to request accommodations in accordance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008 or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act (1973) should follow the instructions below and complete the required paperwork.

Process to Request and Receive Reasonable Accommodations:

  1. Schedule a meeting with Joe Sleman, Mental Health and Academic Success Counselor. To request a meeting, email jsleman@jpcatholic.edu.
  2. At the meeting, Joe will discuss your situation and walk you through submitting both a Disability Accommodation Request Form and Verification of Disability Form (these should be submitted ideally at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the academic year or as soon as possible following the discovery of a new qualifying condition). The Verification of Disability Form is completed by a professional, such as a medical professional. Verification of a disability should be current, within the last 3 years. 1
  3. Allow 14 educational days to process your request. During that time, the Student Success Advisor (or designee) will evaluate your request and make a determination of the reasonableness of the requested accommodation(s) and the length of time for each accommodation (e.g., is it a one-time accommodation or accommodation that needs to be evaluated on a quarterly basis?). You will be contacted when this determination has been made.
  4. After receiving the determination of reasonable accommodations, you should contact the Student Success Advisor at the beginning of each academic year to pick up an approved Accommodation Form.
  5. At the beginning of each quarter, notify each of your professors about the accommodations that will be necessary in each specific class. In order to ensure adequate time for arranging reasonable accommodations, students must notify instructors at the beginning of each quarter (or as soon as the student is made eligible for accommodations) for an on-going accommodation (e.g., note-taking), OR at least 7 calendar days prior to each exam/assignment/event for which the agreed-upon reasonable accommodations is required. Follow the protocol for initiating each service as stated on the Form or as decided between you and the instructor. Failure to follow these steps may prevent provision of the agreed-upon reasonable accommodations.
    • Note: Instructors cannot unilaterally deny or substantively modify accommodations deemed reasonable on the Form. Instructors must contact the Student Success Advisor directly with questions concerning accommodations.
  6. Notify the Student Success Advisor if you need to change your accommodation(s) (ideally at least 2 weeks prior to the start of the academic year, or as soon as possible following the discovery of a new qualifying condition or a change in an existing condition).
  7. If dissatisfied with the decision of the Student Success Advisor regarding accommodations, or about the quality, efficiency, timeliness, or effectiveness of a provided accommodation, you may appeal through the University grievance process within 5 educational days of the decision or action that is challenged.2 You may also choose to file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights of the U.S. Department of Education. The Office of Civil Rights investigates timely filed complaints for which they have jurisdiction (more information here about the Office of Civil Rights)
Request Appointment

A Note On Transitioning to JPCatholic

Transitioning from one educational institution to another will often bring with it a significant amount of changes, challenges, and experiences. It is important to understand that the reasonable accommodations you might have received elsewhere may not be the exact ones you will be authorized to receive at your next educational institution. This is particularly true in postsecondary education where IEPs, 504 Plans and IDEA no longer apply. In fact, each postsecondary institution has the right to evaluate a student’s request for reasonable accommodations and determine which ones they will authorize. This is based on an evaluation of the disability documentation and consultation with the student, in addition to the resources available at the institution.

For requests involving service or assistance animals, please first review the University’s policy on service animals.

1. The law does not require particular documentation as verification of a disability. In rare circumstances, the Student Success Advisor or designee may grant reasonable accommodations without third-party verification or with documentation older than 3 years in instances where the disability is self-evident.

2. Instructors disputing the provision of an academic accommodation may appeal to the appropriate Department Chair (or designee). The Department Chair will make a decision within 5 educational days of the instructor’s complaint; in the interim, the disputed accommodation(s) will continue to be in effect.