About 25% of JPCatholic students work a part-time job while at school, providing an extra source of income for tuition and/or living expenses. Minimum Wage in California is $14-15/hour (2022), and students are able to earn significant sums while building valuable work experience for their resume.
Both on-campus and off-campus (and even online) opportunities are available, and the Career Services office provides one-on-one job counseling to assist you in identifying opportunities and getting hired.
What kinds of jobs do students work?
JPCatholic offers a variety of on-campus opportunities for employment; some are Federal Work Study Programs (positions that are subsidized by the government), and others are traditional part-time jobs. Below are some positions students have worked in:
- Reception Desk
- Film Equipment Room
- Resident Assistant
- Student Life Team
We love our local Escondido community, and they also love hiring our students. JPCatholic has built valuable relationships with businesses in Escondido, and students have worked at many local companies within walking distance of campus. Types of work in Escondido or the broader San Diego community have included:
- Movie Theater
- Senior Living Facility
- Food Delivery (UberEats)
How does it work?
Every student’s situation is unique, so one-on-one job counseling meetings serve as the cornerstone for assisting students with locating part-time jobs.
- Email David Zumaya to set up an appointment (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- He will have you submit an intake form, where you can describe your work experience, skills, desired type of work, desired number of hours per week, etc.
- Your meeting will take place in-person or over Zoom, and David will work with you to discuss available options and advise you throughout the application process.
Tips for Employment:
- Search online for local business websites and social media pages.
- Whenever visiting a local business, ask if they are hiring.
- Have your resume updated and include your volunteer work.
- Create a summary statement on why you would like to work.
- Follow through. After applying online or in-person, reach out to the business with a phone call or visit the business and ask to speak with the manager.
- Follow up with a thank you for your interview.
- Presentation. Present yourself professionally and be on-time with your meetings/interviews.
- Schedule a meeting with David in Career Services to practice common interview questions.